Friday, August 27, 2010

Father's Curried Potatoes and Peas

This recipe is a childhood favorite, my Dad makes with half and half, which of course is unwise for me to cook with nowadays unless I want that sexy Buddha belly. :-)

Here is a Vegetarian/Vegan/Allergy Free (granted that you are not allergic to cashews) version of my Dad's classic dish.

Ingredients:
4-5 medium sized potatoes (I have an intolerance for white potatoes so use Purple, Sweet or Red potatoes). Cut potatoes into 4-6 pieces each.
1 package of frozen or fresh peas
1-2 tablespoons of curry power ( I like using more like 3 tablespoons )
2 tablespoons of butter (I use Earth Balance Soy Free natural buttery spread)

1/4 cup of half and half (I use Mimic Creme)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Preparation:
Boil the potatoes and peas in separate pots until done (I steamed my peas and cooked the potatoes for 25 minutes)
In frying pan or wok, heat butter(earth balance) until it starts to bubble.
Add curry powder and saute' for about a minute. (maybe add a bit of chili powder for an extra kick)
add half and half (mimic creme-unsweetened) and stir to combine
Add potatoes and cook until sauce is hot and starts to thicken slightly. Be sure to coat the top of the potatoes with the sauce.
Add peas and cook until everything is heated.
Add salt and pepper and serve.

I made this last night and it was a hit with Adam. I didn't add the chili powder this time, but will for the next time. Tonight I may make Baked Spinach and Asparagus Risotto with a sprinkle of Dr. Cow Cheese, or I'll make something similar with Jasmine rice. I haven't decided yet.
Here are some photos of our meal: I also sauteed some Quorn Chik'n with herbs (garlic power, basil, rosemary, thyme).

2 comments:

  1. OMG! (hehe) that was SO good last night. Could have done with a little more curry powder but better than having too much.

    I, of course, had to pair it with some type of meat so I tossed a couple of chicken drumsticks on the side that i had baked with Maggi sauce. Complimented well and tasted great.

    Leftovers? cant wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I'll try this one.

    ReplyDelete