Saturday, August 28, 2010

The lovely uses of "Spelt"

OK, so I didn't make my risotto or rice last night instead we opted for leftover's.
However yesterday I had a special delivery from my favorite bakery in Ohio. Berlin Natural Bakery.
http://www.berlinnaturalbakery.com/
They make all my yummy Spelt products since I can no longer eat traditional wheat, spelt is a superior alternative. I mean it tastes way better than the processed stuff and is easy on my digestive system (ie: NO BLOATING!).
I decided to experiment with a lot of baking this year so I purchased a 5lb bag of white spelt.
Ta Da!
Now I can make my own spelt tortillas, cakes, cookies, bread...you name it. It has a smaller gluten content then traditional over processed wheat. (Remember I'm not Gluten intolerant, just Wheat Intolerant). I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who is celiac. Spelt is a cousin of wheat.
This excerpt is straight from the Berlin Bakery website:



info@berlinnaturalbakery.com Berlin, Ohio 330-893-2734 | Copyright © 2007 Berlin Natural Bakery. All rights reserved.

Here's to YOU SPELT! You beautiful grain. Now I can have all the Bahama rice veggie burger's on spelt buns that I want at a barbecue thanks to you. Oh yeah and pizza, the food of the gods. :-)

This morning I had scrambled eggs with green tomatoes and white onion. I sprinkled some doctor cow cashew cheese on top and have two pieces of sourdough spelt bread with earth balance and raspberry jam.


 Now it's time to exercise!


Today spelt is recognized throughout the United States as an alternative grain. One that is far superior nutritionally to other common wheat(s). It is no longer sought after only by those with wheat sensitivities.
We call spelt the feel good grain. We hear those words time and time again from our customers. We just plain feel good when we eat your products. More then likely that's due to the fact that we don't use ingredients that are altered by anything other then Mother Nature itself. Our products are all natural with no additives or preservatives. The delicate temperament of this ancient grain requires highly skilled bakers to produce a quality loaf of bread. We bake only small batch breads (100 loaves per batch). Small batch baking yields the highest quality and consistency and if it's great taste you are after, you'll find abundance in every bite.
Spelt in comparison to wheat(s)
The Many Nutritional Benefits of
  • Approximately 30% higher in Thiamin (Vitamin B1)
  • Approximately 25% higher in B6
  • Approximately 45% higher in Vitamin E
  • Higher in unsaturated fatty acids (mainly Linol acid and Linoleen acid) which are important for regeneration of nerve cells.
  • It is warming and supports good blood circulation
  • It is higher in water solubility, making it easier to digest and aiding in the nutrients being more easily absorbed by the body.
  • Approximately 10-25% higher in protein, promoting fitness strength, muscle expansion and endurance. Many endurance athletes find spelt to be invaluable during training.
  • It has a higher percentage of Amino Acids
  • It has a higher level of L-Tryptophan which in turn promotes and aids in the production of serotonin.

2 comments:

  1. hey? what happened to the type? i cant read the article. some parts are missing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adam, I'll try to fix that, seems like when I cut and paste the goodness of spelt on the page it went all wonkey.

    ReplyDelete